Thursday, June 12, 2008

Long time no blog.

Sorry for the major delay here guys on my part in the blogging world, but I'm coming back full force here with some recent images of books I've repaired at the HSP! Wooo!@!@!! Okay so now a quick lesson in repairing a book. This is how the books came to me.....



Sad I know, but not to fear! We can put it back together!! Yay. So first step, do any paper mending and dry cleaning to the pages. This means cleaning dirt off the paper and mending any tears in the pages themselves. Second step! Hindge and Guard all the signatures! This is putting the individual folios (folded pages) back together and attaching any loose pages so we can sew it.... which is step 3! Sew the book back together, in this case using the herringbone stitch. Woo! Okay now step 4, attach the spine and covers, and voila! You have a book again! Now just take into account this took me about 3 months work. Ha. Okay well here's the finished product!






Fun right! Okay kids until next time... which I promise will be sooner than later.

Julianna.

p.s. I forgot to mention these books belonged to the Chew Family (check the HSP blog!) and were a cricket journal, and college notebook!